Sunday 2 October 2011

August Journal Quilt , end of summer and empty nest syndrome

This is the last of the Journal Quilts with text in. It wasn't the piece I intended to do, but was an opportunity to get to grips with my new printer make a little wholecloth quilt to fulfill the JQ brief and come to terms with the end of summer and return of youngest son to college. I've had this little drawing pinned on my wall for many years and the faces of the figures always make me smile - I think its the curly mouths! I had to define the lines a bit and then filled areas with more colour. I added a one inch half triangle border and repeated the little child figure which I think is Ralph. There is another tiny little figure on one of the planets and I wonder if that is his older brother - banished to the ends of the world!
I treated some old cotton sheeting with bubble jet set and then printed the whole design and machine stitched it. There were random pencil dots which I stitched with french knots. It still makes me smile.
I spent yesterday in the very hot exhibition room at the Bristol Guild. It was the last day and thank you to my friends who visited and also to all the other visitors who showed interest. The lichens designs and french knot embroideries seem to interest people which is great. I think I will make another large lichen applique hanging soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment